It was certainly a fast-paced morning at Chardon High School. As our communications shared- important decisions about school safety were made during a time where buses were in route, students were arriving via parent drop off, zero-period was in session, and staff were arriving. I am grateful-- so grateful to the complete team effort of our CHS Staff, Board Office Leadership, and Middle School Staff for the timeliness of clear decision making and effective outcomes.
I know the decision to cancel school at Chardon High School was the smartest, safest, and best decision with the known and unknown circumstances that we were facing.
With that, today's recorded announcements were very important for providing information to our students and staff. Although taped on Wednesday--the information regarding Friday's Halloween attire, college visits, and Monday's schedule were expressed.
Important Reminder for Halloween
District Communication from Today
The safety of our students and staff is our top priority at Chardon Schools.
This morning, prior to the start of the school day, fumes were detected in the administrative offices and front hallways of Chardon High School. Carbon monoxide detectors alerted to a high level of carbon monoxide. Emergency services were immediately notified to secure and assess the building. School buses arriving to the campus were redirected to Chardon Middle School, and all high school students were directed to the Middle School Gym. Attendance was taken, and parents signed out their children from the Alcan driveway entrance.
Chardon High School remains closed today, October 27, 2016. There will be no after-school or evening activities today. However, outdoor activities and practices are ON as scheduled.
Technicians and emergency services have assessed and remediated the building system. Due to the weather conditions this morning - easterly wind with damp air - fumes exiting the building boiler system where the chimney is under renovation were forced back into the building air return. A temporary pipe is being installed today to extend the existing ventilation in order to redirect exiting fumes away from the building until the permanent exhaust pipe is installed. As of 9:00 AM, the Chardon Fire Department has determined that the air quality and school building are safe.
At this time, we fully anticipate that classes and activities at Chardon High School will resume as scheduled tomorrow morning.
We appreciate your patience and understanding with our procedures this morning. A special note of thanks to the Chardon Fire Department for their assistance in assessing the building.
Chardon High School will be OPEN tomorrow, October 28, 2016.
Douglas Murray, Principal